Sunday, 20 May 2012

100 Metres


I stand,
A great statue of smooth marble, breathe in.
Glassy eyes peering from the sky. Breathe out.
I prepare,
Convince myself I am a winner, breathe in.
I am a winner, breathe out.
I tense,
Every fibre of my being melds into bone, breathe in,
My entire body fluid, breathe out,
Working in unison for one purpose, breathe in,
One goal, one race, one medal, breathe out.
A distant cry pierces my skull and,
I release,
My legs aflame, I propel forward,
Slicing through the air,
Sweat dripping, forming clouds of perspiration behind me,
And with one final step it is over,
My muscles snap rigid, groaning.
I drop,
Bitter-sweet tears stream down my face,
Everything I worked for,
Fought in the blink of an eye,
A flutter of a flag,
A flash of a camera.
Now I rest,
Only until the next goal, the next race, the next medal,
The next step.

2 comments:

  1. You've been watching alot of the olympics eh? Seriously though, good timing. I like the pauses. The tempo is exceptional :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually this was written for a poetry competition, it won first prize in the 15-18 writers competition by the NDCS, I would never normally write about sports tis not my forte, but I just wanted to see what would happen if I entered it.

      Delete